We spent 3 days snorkeling. Once at Hanauma Bay and the other two at Pupukea Beach or "Sharks Cove". Let me tell you, at Hanauma Bay, I did NOT like snorkeling. I didn't like the feeling of just floating in water that I couldn't touch if I wanted to. So for most of that day, the beach is where I stayed. But that part was lovely too.
So this is Hanauma Bay. Beautiful right? And for the record, we don't know anyone on that beach so this is also, a "view" photo. I told you I couldn't help it!

This is how I looked for the latter half of the first day. Do you like my farmer's tan? What you can't see is the deep red on the top of my shoulders. YOW!!! Which is why I'm in a hat and towel. :)

Here's where a big storm cloud came rolling in and dumped lots of rain on us in a matter of minutes. We found meager shelter by this rock face. Jessica looks like she could have just been pulled from the ocean. Jeanice and I look like we could have been pulled from the runway!! Small joke at your expense Jessica. You look as lovely as the rest of us I swear.

No explanation needed. OW, OW!! Oh wait, the people behind Matt are from Utah. We talked to them for a while. That was fun.

The place where real snorkeling began!! Sharks Cove was AWESOME!! All throughout the water there are giant boulders for little sea creatures to hide. We may have just hit this place at the perfect time but, it was wonderful. To make myself more comfy in the water, we bought a boogie board that I could just hang on to as I floated around. That made the experience way better for me.

Me post shoulder and back burn at Hanauma Bay. We also bought that rash guard for me the day before for burn protection. It helped my shoulders. But not my thighs. Note to self, don't underestimate the power of the sun.

We all looked this good in our snorkel gear. Way to go Jeanice! I so wish I had gotten a picture of Kelly in full snorkel gear a day earlier. He had it all on BEFORE he got in the water. He was precariously trying to get in the water with his flippers getting all in the way. Walking much like Frankenstein. To tell the truth, I didn't actually see it but the visual that Nathan and Jessica painted for me had me laughing for days.

Crab we thought was dead until we checked for it later and it was gone. I even poked it with a rock to check it. Sneaky crab.

Third day of snorkeling. Post shoulder and back... and back thigh burn. Am I smart or what? I went for the full protection the final snorkeling day. Jessica chose to also. I'd like to believe it was because she didn't want me to feel like the odd man out..... it probably wasn't. But we did look pretty darn cute.

We bought a cheap underwater camera to capture the amazingness of Shark's Cove. It was only $15. Which in my opinion should ensure us optimum quality. Not so. DARN YOU UNDERWATER CAMERA!! Here's some of the awesomeness minus the fish's bright colors because that is what a cheap $15 dollar underwater camera will get you.
The pictures are still pretty cool though.

Every once in a while you would see clusters of fish like the picture below. They were feeding on something on the rock. One can only guess what it was.

That's me. If you look real close, you will see a turtle in the bottom of the picture.

These are the two turtles we watched for quite a while. I was secretly hoping one would take me for a ride and then give me a massage but that didn't happen. I also secretly hoped a dolphin would swim in to the cove and give me a hug. That didn't happen either.

Matt and I by the ginormous turtle.

Again, no need for comment. ;)

The last day we went snorkeling, we were walking down to the beach when Matt kicked a rock, by accident, people. This is what his toe looked like that night. A few days ago, he went to the doctor to have it x-rayed because it is still bigger than normal. He broke it. Very unfortunate I'd say.

Both Matt and I thoroughly enjoyed snorkeling. I would love to do it again if I ever get the chance. I had a hard time being completely comfy in the water what with breathing through a narrow tube and all. By the third day, I felt much more at ease and as long as I didn't think about sharks coming to rip my extremities off, I was fine.
2 comments:
You got some really pretty pictures and it looks like fun. Great cove to snorkel in! I love snorkelling. :) I'm glad you got to experience it!
Cathy, I love your descriptions even better than the pictures. You're hilarious!
Post a Comment