04 May 2009

You don't always have to get mad...

Today, I was informed that some of our kids along with some neighborhood friends found it pretty awesome to play in the window wells. They were allegedly jumping in, climbing out. Jumping in, climbing out. So I calmly opened the front door, peeked out and sure enough, children lined around the window well. I said, "I sure hope none of you get bitten by a black widow today. They like to live in window wells." As I was saying this, one of the little girls was preparing herself to give it a go. This particular little girl stopped dead in her tracks and said, "Well, I wasn't going to go down in there." So much for bravery Nemo.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where was I when the kids were jumping down into the window well? You know we love to peek through the window, and I somehow missed that!
You are right! You dont ALWAYS have to get mad.
And...now I see why you stayed home from Church! Lovin' that!

melissabastow said...

You're nice. I wouldn't have thought to tell them black widows live down there. Maybe just an invisible man-eating shadow monster that especially liked 5 year olds, but would munch on anyone under the age of 11.

Shnopa said...

That was funny, especially because it sounds exactly like something you would say. I agree we don't always have to get mad. Sometimes laughing makes it all better. That isn't always easy to do. I liked your story.

Lisa said...

Sometimes scaring kids into not doing something is way more fun than yelling at them. I'm glad you found something scary enough to make them stop. Funny!

big8smiley said...

It's funny when they suddenly have to make their own "grown-up" decision to stop a dangerous game. I'm so glad you gave them that incentive.

Unknown said...

I probably would have stopped dead in my tracks as well. :)

Hannah said...

It's funny what lies our children believe, but they eventually figure them out. I can no longer keep my girls from splashing in the water while I try to take a relaxing bath by saying, "The invisible crocodile LOVES little kid fingers!" They just recently figured out THAT was a lie. Hm mm ... I'll have to come up with something new, like getting angry, "I'm gonna spank you if you don't get out of the bathroom and leave me alone!" LOL!

bobatharoo said...

that actually wasn't a lie! There are black widwos that live in our window wells.