22 October 2008

My life flashes before my eyes....

So apparently, all appliances don't last forever. I know this but I always thought those rules didn't apply to me or my house because hey, we buy quality. Nonetheless, just two days ago, I was preparing a pot of tasty soup for dinner. I cut the potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic. I added the water. I could taste the soup in my mouth already. I was feeling really on the ball because I would have dinner done when Matt got home from work. Everything was going well up until I put the pot on the stove and turned the heating element on. Two minutes into the "heating up" time, I hear a big pop. I whipped my head around just in time to see sparks flying up from my soup, a foot and a half into the air. I screamed, of course. What else am I going to do! I have watched those t.v. shows about what to do in an emergency situation. I know what to do if the stove catches on fire but did I think of any of those things? No. I thought I was going to have a heart attack as I watched the sparks spurting out from under my delicious soup. Quickly, the sparks died down enough that I became de-mesmerized by the firework show and I turned the stove off. As the sparks came to a halt, I realized that there was water going all over the top of the stove. This is why!


Those darn sparks burned a hole right through my precious pot. Did I say we buy quality stuff? Only sometimes. So water was leaking out of my pot all over our stove. I picked it up and put it into the sink. I called Matt and amidst the semi-hyperventilation, I told him I thought we would need a new stove. When all was said and done, I found out that when the heating element gets old, that is what happens. It basically blew a hole into the heating element and all the electricity came shooting out. YIPES!! See the remains of the old heating element? We had pancakes for dinner on my high quality griddle. Maybe I'll start cooking with charcoal and firewood from now on.

3 comments:

big8smiley said...

That is FREAKY! I'm so glad you weren't standing close enough to the stove to feel the effects yourself! Now you have a good excuse to have Matt go get you a nice, new pan set. One that is really nice quality. You know, like the kinds that you buy. LOL.

Cynthia said...

That's scary! I'm glad you were home at the time. Imagine if you had decided to run a quick errand while the soup simmered? Thankfully you are all still safe and sound in your top-o-the-line house.

melissabastow said...

First the cookies, and now this? I think your house is determined to burn itself down. Once I got an email about how those plug in Glade thingies start random fires. So we don't own any plug in smelling anything. I might suggest that to you seeing as, you know, your house wants to burn down.

Ok I would really feel terribly horribly distraught if your house actually caught fire, because I'm totally kidding about all this (except for that email - I really got that and I really dont' own any plug in smelly things.) But I don't feel like I can leave this comment without saying that I'm TOTALLY KIDDING, and please don't burn your house down. Because sparking soup is scary enough!!!