09 August 2008

1...2...3....pop!

I HAVE to post this for all the mothers out there. You know when you're about due and you feel bigger than a small elephant or even a house. Well, I was in primary, preparing announcements and opening exercises (I am in charge of that every 3 months), I was standing at the podium and one of the teachers said, "Sister Nelson?" I answered thinking that I might be very helpful to her that day. She said, "You look like you're about ready to pop!" I stood there looking at her, speechless for a few seconds and then responded with an exaggerated smile on my face, "Well thanks very much." What do you say to that?! I realized that day that to some people, maybe I do look like I am ready to explode. And that's okay. I feel it.

5 comments:

Naomi said...

I hear you. . . I am a not-so-small WHALE when I am pregnant. Isn't is funny what people say to pregnant ladies? Like we need to hear out loud what we feel inside 24-7 until our little one gets here. . . Anyway, it is ALL worth it! I can tell you are such an awesome mommy- your children are so blessed to have you. Hope all goes well with the arrival of this little one! I can't wait to see pictures :)

melissabastow said...

Don't go exploding in Primary....that would make a mess. I'm surprised one of the teachers would say that to you - if it came from a kid I would understand more. Possibly this teacher has never had a baby and doesn't realize that you should never tell a pregnant person how huge they look. Not that you would actually pop, but I've always been afraid of having my water break somewhere embarrassingly public. Do you ever worry about that? I've only had to go through the water breaking thing once (since I have c-sections) but with Hannah it GOOOOSHED all over. Not such a cool thing if it had happened somewhere like the pulpit on Fast Sunday or something... There, now I gave you something to really worry about tomorrow at Church so that you can ignore any rude comments on your size! I'm such a good friend. :)

The Nelsons said...

Has this teacher never been pregnant? Good grief, no pregnant woman wants to hear that!! There are some things that should just never be voiced. I remember one time at a ward picnic when my mom was pregnant a man came up to her and said, "You look like you've got a watermelon in there!" or something like that. She wasn't pleased. Near the end of my first pregnancy Nathan's mom said how pregnant I looked and I wanted to scream. She's had nine kids - she should know better!!

big8smiley said...

I think you need to make a list to have on hand of stinky comebacks for when people make stinky remarks about your size. For instance, you should have replied, "So do you!!! Isn't that weird? And you aren't even pregnant!" LOL. . . seriously, should they expect any different if they are going to say something so rude to start? Geez.

Anonymous said...

Here is my least favorite comment about pregnancy. It's whenever somebody asks you when you will become pregnant. I find this is especially frequent (but not excusable) when your 1st kid is 18 months or older, and a few months into your marriage. Now, if it's immediate family, that's totally cool. But ward members are the worst! A. Have they ever heard of infertility problems? Very hurtful.
B. Another couples' sex life is none of their business.

When I got repeated questions like this from the same person after I had just miscarried, I finally said "We're trying for a baby every day! As soon as we get home from church today, in fact." That was the last time they asked me.
So, I agree with big8smiley's comment. That oughta work.